A terrorist convicted of planning to bomb the London Stock Exchange and later recalled to prison will not be freed because it is feared he won't follow parole restrictions designed to keep the public safe.
Shah Rahman, then 29, was one of four al Qaida-inspired British extremists who pleaded guilty to engaging in preparation for acts of terrorism in 2012.
A hand-written target list discovered at the home of one of the men gave the names and addresses of the then London mayor Boris Johnson, two rabbis, the US embassy and the Stock Exchange.
The conspiracy was stopped by undercover anti-terror police before firm dates could be set for attacks.
Rahman was released from prison in 2017 on licence and with the imposition of terrorism notification requirements.
Shah Rahman, then 29, pictured, was one of four al Qaida-inspired British extremists who pleaded guilty to engaging in preparation for acts of terrorism in 2012
He planned the attack alongside Usman Khan, who was freed on license in December 2018. In November 2019 he was shot dead by police after killing two in a terror attack on London Bridge
Target: hand-written list discovered at the home of one of the men gave the names and addresses of the then London mayor Boris Johnson, two rabbis, the US embassy and the Stock Exchange (pictured)
On August 6 2021 Rahman's wife was subjected to a port stop and an unauthorised number for him was found on her phone under the name 'hubby'.
Police later carried out a search at his home which also uncovered an undeclared secret bank account.
READ MORE: Convicted terrorist jailed for plotting to bomb Stock Exchange alongside London Bridge attacker Usman Khan is back behind bars after police found his secret bank accountAdvertisement
Some proceeds from Rahman's online perfume business had been put into the account.
Then aged 39, Rahman was recalled to prison on the 22nd March 2022.
Under Registered Terrorism Offenders notices (RTOs), it is an offence if those required do not give police information such as a new telephone number or details of a bank account .
In June 2022, Rahman admitted three breaches of a notification requirement in relation to an undeclared bank account, email and phone.
At the Old Bailey, in mitigation, Audrey Mogan said Rahman had committed the breaches in efforts to rebuild his life, communicate with his wife and set up a small business.
She said there was nothing nefarious in his activities and the defendant had positively engaged with authorities.
He was given eight months in jail for each of the three breaches to run concurrently.
The parole case was heard on the 21st February and Rahman appeared via video-link from prison. His team argued that he had a 'motivation and willingness to engage with relevant interventions.'
MailOnline has obtained the board's written summary, which states: 'His behaviour was described as positive. Mr Rahman had also engaged with a relevant intervention to re-visit and build on work he had undertaken before his release.'
Guilty: (Top row and left on 2nd row) Shah Rahman, Gurukanth Desai and Abdul Miah, who were part of the quartet guilty of the most serious terror charges in the case. On the 2nd row, right, is Omar Latif, from Cardiff. Left to right on the third row are Usman Khan and Mohammed Shahjahan from Stoke and on the bottom row are Mohibur Rahman and Nazam Hussain, also from Stoke
The panel was told that a probation plan included a requirement to reside in designated accommodation for an extended period of time as well as strict limitations on Mr Rahman's contacts, movements and activities.
But in a damning conclusion it stated: 'The panel concluded this plan was robust, but it did not have confidence Mr Rahman would comply with it.'
It concluded: 'After considering the circumstances of Mr Rahman's index offending, the time he spent on licence, the events leading to his recall, the progress made since his return to custody and the evidence presented at the hearing and in the dossier, the panel was not satisfied that Mr Rahman was suitable for release.'
Now aged 40, this was Rahman's first parole hearing since being recalled to prison. He will be eligible for a second hearing in two-years time.
If not considered safe enough to be released on parole, Rahman will be automatically released at the end of his sentence in December 2029.
A spokesperson for the Parole Board confirmed: 'We can confirm that a panel of the Parole Board refused the release of Shah Rahman following an oral hearing.
'Parole Board decisions are solely focused on what risk a prisoner could represent to the public if released and whether that risk is manageable in the community.'
Rahman was one of nine terrorists convicted of various charges at Woolwich Crown Court in 2012 after a huge police and security service operation on three gangs of extremists based around Stoke-on-Trent, Cardiff and London.