Prince Harry and Meghan Markle tried to hitch a ride back to America on Air Force One after the Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral but were quickly rebuffed.
Sources told the Daily Mail Wednesday that it was an immediate no from the White House, adding that the request was a “non-starter.”
“It would have caused such a commotion. It would have strained relations with the Palace and the new King,” another source added, referring to King Charles III.
The White House and a spokesperson for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex did not reply for comment.
The Bidens had used the presidential aircraft to attend the late Queen’s funeral and were also in attendance at a reception for world leaders and foreign royals thrown by King Charles ahead of the service on Sept. 19, 2022.
Harry and Markle had been invited to the reception and then were after being told it was for working royals only.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex had coincidentally been in the UK last September to take part in charity engagements when they received the news that the Queen’s health was failing fast.
He made it to Scotland to mourn her death but hours after his family had arrived together by plane.
The “Spare” author, 38, on his family’s private royal jet after hearing the news that his grandmother was dying.
The couple, who , have reportedly tried in other ways to cozy up to the Bidens.
First Lady Jill Biden was reportedly asked to attend the 2022 Invictus Games but was advised not to, although she had attended in 2017 with her husband and then-President Obama.
“British officials, in a working level conversation, conveyed to National Security Council staff that they thought the idea would land badly,” a source told the Daily Mail. Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg and his husband Chasten led the US delegation instead.
It’s been a challenging time for the California-based couple as they recently
Markle’s “Archetypes” Spotify podcast was , however, they still have their Netflix deal to fall back on.
The pair in 2021 to create shows and other content with the streaming service.
They reportedly feel that have put a wrench into their post-royal careers.
“The word is that they think they’ve been really unlucky,” a source in Los Angeles told The Daily Mail.
The insider added that the couple reportedly believe COVID-19, economic downturns and the ill health and subsequent deaths of Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth II hampered their attempts to build careers in the private sector.
They have also been that their relationship is in trouble and they are “taking time apart” to heal and repair their bond.
“It’s not true. It’s literally made up,” the insider told Page Six.