Man Had to Choose between Saving Wife or Baby Daughter's Life: 'It Was Going to Take a Miracle'

After a pregnant woman tested positive for COVID-19, she was hospitalized and put on a ventilator. When her condition became critical, the doctors called her husband and presented him with a painful choice.

Nothing hurts more than seeing our loved ones suffer and feeling utterly helpless. Ironically, a husband battled the same feelings when his wife became unwell, and her health worsened.

Christina and Nick Jones from Nelson, Caerphilly, Wales were doting parents to two kids, Nicky, 15, and Honey, 10, when they received heartwarming news — they were expecting another child. The couple was thrilled and couldn't wait to embrace parenthood again.

[Left] Nick and Christina Jones kiss their daughter, Angel Grace Hope Jones; [Right] Angel pictured as an infant. | Source: |


Before becoming pregnant, the couple had lost a baby only three months into the pregnancy after doctors could not find a heartbeat. The Joneses were hopeful that the pregnancy would go smoothly this time and that their lives would be filled with infinite joy.

But things took a sudden turn  when Christina tested positive for COVID-19 on February 18, 2021.  After eight days of isolation, she was taken to Prince Charles Hospital in Merthyr Tydfil, Wales, after she struggled with breathing.

The then-39-year-old woman was 30 weeks pregnant, and after being placed on oxygen for four days, her condition worsened, and she was put on a ventilator on March 1, 2021. Her critical condition worried the doctors,  so they decided to call her husband, Nick.


They told Nick that they wanted to deliver the baby by emergency C-section, for which he needed to sign the paperwork. Then then-45-year-old Nick recalled  feeling fearful and worried when a surgeon and grief counselor greeted him  at the hospital.

Like Nick, a Birmingham woman was asked to choose between saving her own life or her unborn baby after she was diagnosed with chronic myeloid leukemia during a routine blood test at 21 weeks.

Nick was told his wife was "as ill as you can possibly get" and that the only option they had to save her life was to deliver the baby early. Before going into surgery,  they presented him with a choice no one should ever have to make — to save his wife or baby.


The heartbroken man told them to save his wife.  Under the exceptional circumstances, Nick wore a hazmat suit with an oxygen generator and spoke to his wife,  who was in a coma. He recollected:

"At that point, how ill Chris looked, I really thought it was going to take a miracle."

Their daughter was delivered via C-section on March 2, 2021, exactly two months before her due date, and weighed only 3lbs 6oz. She was immediately taken to a separate room as she was born to a COVID-positive mother.


Shortly after birth, the baby was transferred to The Grange Hospital in Cwmbran, South Wales, for five days.  Nick could not see his daughter as she required two negative COVID-19 tests, but the hospital shared daily pictures of her.

While Christina was unconscious,  Nick and the kids decided to name the baby "Angel Grace Hope-Jones," with "Angel" being a temporary name initially. A distraught Nick couldn't see his wife while she remained seriously ill in the hospital.

news flash